Thursday, February 03, 2011

Muffin Mania

I have a new obsession... Muffins.

It came about last night that I had a massive chocolate craving and the subtle hints to the man before he left work produced no chocolate gifts. Drat.
So once the kids were in bed I had a quick google for my favourite GF Blogger to see if she had a muffin recipe. Ofcourse she did. See here  for the recipe and flour blending instructions. I won't post the recipe, as I really want you to read her blog post, plus that'd be rude.

Her muffins are wholegrain and therefore full of nutrition (protein and fibre), just right to start the morning. And they are FILLING! It was in fact, my breakfast muffin obsession that led me to the conclusion that it was gluten making me exhausted at 9am and burning with reflux by midday. Woohoo! My breakfast muffin routine can begin again. I digress. Last night, I wanted CHOCOLATE. Delicious, gooey, dark chocolate. And so I baked.

To fully understand what I'm about to write, you MUST read Shauna's post and explanation of flours before the recipe. She's done all the hard work and below is simply my take on her version of someone else's Gluten based muffins! She's such a joy to read though, I know you won't find it a hardship. Also, you really do need a kitchen scale. It makes GF baking a breeze.

I made up the flour mix using red sorghum and brown rice, and tapioca (arrowroot) and potato flour, simply because that's what I had. Next batch I'll do a mix of sorghum/rice/amaranth or maybe quinoa. We'll see. If you can't use eggs, add a teaspoon of linseed or chia meal to a cup, then pour 60 ml of boiling water on top. Stir and let cool. For this recipe, you'll need 2 teaspoons meal and 120 ml of water.

So DOUBLE DARK CHOCOLATE MUD MUFFINS
Make sure your ingredients are room temp!
I added 50g of cocoa to the flours and 180g of dark chips at the end.
The liquids I used were sunflower oil and 250g of Lactose free milk and 50g of cream because that's what  I had (and I wanted to see how I reacted) Rice milk will work fine, as will buttermilk, soy milk... whatever you want to try. I heated it slightly in the microwave to bring it to room temp. Next time I make these I'll use 200g of Lac free milk and 100g of cool Espresso... nom nom.
I also baked them until they were cooked, but just barely. Top was still slightly tacky and it set upon cooling.
The mix looked quite sloppy but it worked fine. They were richly dark, moist, not too sweet and hit the I-Need-Chocolate-Right-Now spot.


CRANBERRY COCONUT LEMON MUFFINS
They're SO YUMMY.  (Don't tell the chocolate but I like these even more)

So, I used the same recipe and this time added 100g of coconut and two handfuls of Craisins to the flours. I also used 1/2 instead of 1/4 tsp of baking powder as I like my muffins well risen.

For the liquids I used 200g lactose free milk, 100g of clear apple juice (for a little extra sweetness) and Sunflower oil again. The zest of one lemon was added to the liquids. I scored the peel vertically every 2 cm and the zested it horizontally so I had short slim strips of peel. (IYKWIM) It will look too liquidy again, but hey, they worked!

The second batch had been sitting for 15 minutes while the first batch baked, and I think they were better. So feel free to let your batter sit for a while before you bake them.

If you're a breastfeeding mama, make them with grated apple, cinnamon, walnuts and add a couple of tablespoons of Brewers Yeast, then top with raw sugar and oats. Freeze these down in twin packs for quick feeding snacks. Heat them in the microwave or flat sandwich press when you need them. .

Please let me know what you think of them and what flavour combinations you tried. I think next on my list will be Hummingbird Muffins... pineapple, banana and date.


Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment