Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Muesli Bites

A forum I belong to has had quite a bit of chatter about kids going back to school and lunchboxes. Then someone posted a thread about Muesli Bars. I LoveLoveLove Muesli bars. It bothered me though that my daughters favourite supermarket brand are 41% sugar. Yep. 41%. Ouch. They were forthwith banished from our house.
So when the muesli bar thread popped up, I thought Aha! A chance to make some that not only could I eat but had good nutrient content and whole grains. I read about 6 recipes, got a feel for the fat/sugar ratio and made these.

Lily spies the one in the centre with extra peanut butter on top.


Once again I have used Thick cut non-contaminated oats, but if you can't eat these, add more of whatever you can. :) Also, the ratios are what I like. I'm not a huge fan of rice bubbles so have added a lot less of these than you might like. As long as the weights are about the same, you'll be set.


Muesli Bites

100g butter
100g Super Crunch peanut butter.
100g dark brown sugar
100g honey (see cheat notes)
100g GF AP flour mix (mine is sorghum/brown rice/tapioca/potato mix to GFGirl's ratio)
1/2 tsp GF baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
100g Craisins (or sultanas)
100g GF cornflakes (or rice flakes)
100g GF thick cut oats
50g shredded coconut
30g GF rice bubbles
20g Linseed Meal

Lightly grease a mini muffin tin. It helps if you have a couple, or put little patty papers into a tin to switch them out fast.
Preheat oven to 180c fanforced.
Measure out your wet ingredients (sugar, butter, nutbutter, honey). Put aside in a small saucepan.
Measure out your flour and baking powder and fluff with a fork to mix well. Add with the other dry ingredients into a REALLY big bowl and mix well.
Melt your wet ingredients, stirring gently until well combined and just bubbling. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well and quickly.
Mash spoonfuls very very firmly down into each muffin cup.
Pop into the oven until browned, about 5-8 minutes. Let cool in the tin if they're unpapered or pop out in their papers onto a wire rack. Repeat filling and mashing down with remaining mix.


Notes and Cheats.
- I measure my honey by putting the honey jar onto a digital scale and zeroing it. I then add honey to the saucepan until the jar weighs -100g. Do it slowly until you're confident and you'll be fine. I do the same with the block of butter.
- To make these dairy free, use 10% extra of nuttelex.
- To make nut free, add extra sugar and butter in equal quantities.
- If you have a hubby who likes to munch then these can be made as normal muffin sizes, however I find them too filling unless it's my whole lunch.

I think my son's face says it all. These are GOOD.


1 comment:

  1. What a lovely blog, so glad I found you through BlogLove!

    ReplyDelete