Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Muffin Mania returns

I was hungry. So I baked. While waiting for a batch of pizza dough to rise, I thought I'd try and convert my favourite 'old' muffin recipe to GF. Shauna James Ahern (Gluten free girl) states that you as long as you have your ratios right, you can convert any baked recipe fairly easily.
So, whipping out my tub of her Wholegrain All purpose flour mix, I set to work.
After mixing everything together, I realised I had 'nothing' batter. It would have been fine if I had a batch of fruit compote to eat it with or dollop on top. Fresh passionfuit to make icing, even better. I didn't have fresh passionfruit.
What I DID have was some leftover fruit from Christmas, still quietly marinating away in the back of the pantry in it's sealed tub. So I added some of that. Yumm! You can add whatever you have. Fruit compote, nuts, choc-chips. Whatever.


This is what I ended up with.
They taste like white flour muffins. The texture is right, and they're lighter than the last lot with the extra baking powder. Crispy round the edges with a super soft and not in the least grassy or grainy. Shauna is right again. It was easy to convert. I just changed the flour and added linseed. The linseed helps it maintain it's fluffyness and add omega3. To my dear friend who is allergic to linseed, use chia.

Basic Wholegrain Muffins
Ingredients
300g Wholegrain GF flour 
2 tsp Baking powder
150g white sugar 
1 egg
1tsp vanilla bean paste
200ml milk/ricemilk
50g melted butter
1T linseed or chia meal soaked in 40ml Boiling water

Additional flavour ingredients
200g drained, soaked mixed fruit 
1/2 tsp lemon essence

Method

Preheat oven to 180 and prep muffin tray.
Fluff flour and baking powder together with a whisk or paddle attachment. 
Mix together wet ingredients including essences until combined.
Mix wet into dry, and beat until smooth.
Fold in fruit/nuts/other and scoop into pans.

Bake for 18 minutes, checking after 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment