Thursday, June 09, 2011

Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Chantilly Cream

I know I don't often post gluten recipes but I'm about to put up a lot over the next week. Sorry GF'ers! I'm catering a function and want to share the prettiness with you.
Also I know I usually use weights, however this recipe has so many variables that cup measurements will suffice.



Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Chantilly Cream

Ingredients
50g butter
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 brown sugar not packed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1 egg
1 cup mashed pumpkin (cooled to room temp or pulled out of the fridge half an hour before making)
1/2 tsp mixed spice
2 - 2.5 cups SR flour plus extra just in case
3T plain flour for dusting/kneading

Oven 220 fan forced, less if your oven tends to cook quickly. Baking papered cookie sheets.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy, add sugars and beat until well combined and smooth.
Beat in egg, salt and spice, then slowly add in pumpkin.
Add flour gradually and gently, until you have a soft dough that you can pat out, rather than roll or roll gently just to smooth the top.
(It may only need 2 cups or it may need 2.5, depends on the pumpkin water content and the egg size.)
Use plain flour to dust your hands and the workbench.
Pat out dough to 1 inch thickness, gently roll if necessary. Cut out with small cutter dipped in plain flour.
Let sit on baking paper covered tray for ten minutes before baking. (Milk glaze is unnecessary since they're being served split and topped with cream.)
I have no idea how long they will take to bake in your oven and what size cutter you used, so I'd check at 4 minutes.

I'm assuming you know how to make a chantilly cream, so I won't blather. Split your cooled tiny Scones and dollop or pipe on chantilly cream. Lightly dust with mixed spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment