Monday, July 14, 2008

Anzac Biscuits, Part One

I have been using the RSL recipe for Anzacs (see below) for a while now. But, to be honest, I've never been that happy with it, so I don't know why I continue to use it. i think the wet/dry ratio is wrong.
So I made it one last time, to remember exactly why I don't like it and have a point to work from.

So here is why it's time to find a recipe that works for me: the biscuits don't spread at all, they're not chewy enough, and by the time they're golden on top, they're actually overcooked! Granted this time I had the oven slightly too warm, but still! They taste nice, but they aren't ANZACS, know what I mean?

RSL Anzacs
Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar (I use raw or a brown/white mix)
3/4 cup coconut
125g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup (I have tried all sorts of treacle/golden syrup mixes too)
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon boiling water

Method:
Combine oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut.
Combine butter and golden syrup, stir over gentle heat until melted.
Mix soda with boiling water, add to melted butter mixture, stir into dry ingredients.
Take teaspoonfuls of mixture and place on lightly greased oven trays; allow room for spreading.
Cook in slow oven (150°C) for 20 minutes.
Loosen while still warm, then cool on trays.
Makes about 35.

No comments:

Post a Comment